Sunday, May 12, 2024

Archery

There once was a little girl that won a bow....

It's hard to put into words what it's meant to watch my girl these past four years. It's been incredible to see her grow as an athlete, bringing home box fulls of team and individual medals, plaques, state championships, and a national championship. It's been even more incredible to see what this sport has done for her as a young lady. When I think back to watching her shoot her first year, you could see her emotions all over her. One bad shot and her shoulders dropped, head hung. To see her become disciplined, in control of her emotions on the good days and bad, is a priceless piece to this journey. 

To her coaches, I can't thank you enough. Atteberry and Hamersley...thank you for the fundamentals and giving my scrawny little 5th grader a chance. Thank you for putting up with the tears (oh the tears) and the moodiness. Thank you for making it fun. No one should ever be that happy to win a bag of chips and yet here we are. Burchill, thank you for the calm presence you brought to the table as a coach. Thank you for teaching her she was the one in control of that bow as well as her emotions. Avila, thanks so much for stepping up for these kids when they needed you. Thank all of you for the countless hours of practice. I've let you guys bus my daughter all over the state and 4 times to Kentucky and I've never worried one bit. I always knew you'd look after her. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

To the other archery moms, thanks for all the pictures, early morning rides, and for looking after my girl when I wasn't there. It really takes a village. 

To APS (and the crazy staff that volunteers to go across the country as sponsors of moody, smelly teenagers)and our great community, thank you for supporting the Bulldog Archery program. From donations to fundraisers, you always helped make it happen! 


To my Savannah, from the moment you walked to the car, holding back tears because you hadn't made the cut for that first tournament, I knew that archery would have a great impact on your life. What I already knew about you, that your coaches didn't, is that you are unbelievably competitive. I simply told you to practice harder. You came out the next week to the Altus tournament and placed 2nd. You never looked back. Archery has helped you grow so much as a person. Sure I've been proud of all the awards. Watching you shoot your PB 292 in Altus will always be a highlight for me as your mom. BUT, getting a text from another archery parent telling me what a sweet girl you are or how helpful you've been to the younger archers, makes my heart so absolutely full. I couldn't be more proud of you. I have no idea what the future holds for you and this sport, but just know I'm always here supporting you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment